Happy New Year. We hope you find these New Year’s Resolutions for the Web beneficial.
1. Create a Website Inventory
Domain Name(s) (eg, yikesinc.com)
- Who is your domain name registrar? This is the company that registers your domain name(s) (eg, Network Solutions, Register.com, GoDaddy).
- When does it expire?
- Do you have the account login information?
- Who controls it? Check to see who is listed as the owner, administrative and technical contacts.
You can find helpful information at whois.domaintools.com.
- Who hosts your website? (eg, what company stores and serves you website, such as Rackspace, inMotion, CanvasDreams)
- Do you have all login/account information?
- What hosting package are you using?
- When is your hosting renewal date?
List of Technologies
- For example, does your site use WordPress? Custom PHP? ColdFusion?
- Are you using Paypal, Salesforce, an eCommerce solution?
- Do you send out an enewsletter (Mailchimp, Vertical Response, Constant Contact)?
2. Review Site Security and Design
- Are you using old technology? For example, is your WordPress up-to-date?
- Is your site secure by today’s web standards? Do you use any security features or plugins?
- Does your site look contemporary? Do you need a redesign or a site make-over?
- When was the last time you backed-up your databases and content?
- Have you updated you sitemap recently?
- Have you reviewed your site for SEO purposes?
- Is your site viewable on mobile and tablet devices?
4. Make a Social Media Plan for 2013
- What Social Media do you currently use? (eg, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)
- Do you think you are using Social Media in the best ways for your company or organization?
- Do you have a schedule for updating your Social Media?
- Is your branding consistent across you Social Media profiles?
5. Secure Your Password(s)
When was the last time you changed any of your passwords? Currently guidelines suggest a password of at least 10 characters with a combination of the following:
- Lower case letters
- Upper case letters
- Special Characters